Sunday 20 July 2008

Problem upgrading firmware on Billion 7300G ADSL Modem? Try using Firefox. + Hidden config pages.



I was trying to upgrade my Billion 7300G modem to firmware ver. 1.36 using my iMac, and kept getting up to a certain point and then bomb out around at the 24% mark and return an alert/dialog box that just had:

http://192.168.1.254
Error!


Great, talk about informative error messages!

After a bit of Googling, I found out that this problem only occurs when performing the upgrade from Safari, and Billion have supposedly promised to fix this. I But there haven't been any more firmware updates after ver. 1.36 anyway. The only solution is to use another browser like Firefox.


On another note, I've also sorted out my issues with my wi-fi at home simply by boosting my wireless signal.

My modem/wifi router is in a room on the second floor, while my main computer, a 24" iMac, is downstairs. Now the problem was the iMac would keep losing the wi-fi connection when it came back from Sleep mode. After this any open tabs in Safari would no longer work, and the only workaround I've had was to turn off Airport, then turn it back on again.

The Billion has some hidden configuration pages, and going to http://192.168.1.254/wireless_txpower.asp shows the Wireless signal is only transmitting at 70% strength! Setting the value to 100% sorted out my issues.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, are my hero!!!!! After spending three hours seeing weird ass behaviour in my router I switched from Chrome to Firefox and shit just worked. Thank you!