Friday 26 August 2011

Changes to Macbook Pro - installing Homebrew, RVM, Ruby 1.9.2, Rails, MySQL

I've been meaning to try out Rails 3.0 for a while, and finally got
around to installing it, but I wanted to use Homebrew for managing
packages and RVM so I could easily make use of multiple versions of
Ruby, since Snow Leopard default is Ruby 1.8.7

Every now and then I still have nightmares of what I went through with
getting Ruby to work on Tiger on my Powerbook. I didn't need to do as
much Googling this time around and getting into various dead-ends. And
with the i7 CPU compilation is way quicker than before. =)


1. Installed Homebrew:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/gist/323731)"

2. Install Git and Wget

brew install git

brew install wget

3. Installed RVM

bash < <(curl -s https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/install/rvm)

reloaded .bash_profile:

> source .bash_profile

4. Check that RVM is running

rvm notes

5. Install Ruby 1.9.2

rvm install 1.9.2

6. Install Rails

gem install rails

7. brew install mysql

(during make CPU usage goes way up to 80% and the fan kicks in for the
first time i've seen)

No comments: